Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A week of rest

Today was my 34 week appointment.  I was expecting the usual 5 minute visit with my OB, little did I know I was headed back to the hospital.  It was the usual routine at first but then came my blood pressure check.  It was 136/90.  That is really high.  My OB came in did her normal thing and then we had to talk about my bp.  She was really concerned.  High blood pressure can cause seizures in pregnant women and mine was at that point.  She asked what has been going on and I mentioned that work has been pretty stressful.  She asked if it was possible for me to go on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy.  I said it was possible but that we are in crunch time so my managers may not be too thrilled.  She checked out the swelling in my legs and was pressing on them so hard that she was leaving dents in my very fluid filled extremities.  She took my blood pressure one more time and it was 128/98.  She told me that I wasn't to go back to work until we could meet again next week and that I needed to go to labor and delivery to be monitored for awhile.

Just like last time, the minute I got there and laid down my bp dropped to normal levels.  It never got as low as it did last time I went through this but it did it low enough that they felt I was doing fine.  Baby McMinn also looked great, high heartbeat and lots of movement.  I had a few contractions while I was there but nothing significant enough to get an exam.  After 3 hours, they sent me home with instructions to have no more than 2 hours of activity a day until my next appointment with my OB (Tuesday) and to collect my urine for the next 24hrs.

Bed rest.  I am bored already and it has only been 5 hours since I got home.  And this urine collection thing is  a pain, so not looking forward to those late night bathroom trips where I am usually half asleep.  Keep your fingers crossed that this only lasts for a week.

PS - Steve says "Hi"
Posted by Nikki at 10:23 PM
 

You Me and Baby Make Three Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez